8 ways to fall asleep naturally
Sleep is essential to our existence. It allows our body and mind to rest and regenerate. Yet statistic shows that well over half of adult in the UK have a problem with this basic need.
”16 million UK adults are suffering from sleepless nights. 67% of Brits suffer from disrupted sleep and nearly a quarter manage no more than five hours a night.”
Common reasons for sleep issues.
- Unhealthy dieting
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Sleep apnea
If you suffer from insomnia, sleep apnea or depression - you should consult your GP asap.
If your sleep problems are milder, connected with everyday stress, overthinking, workload or unhealthy lifestyle and diet, then try some of these
Natural ways to help yourself fall asleep
- Avoid stimulants before bedtime. Caffeine, highly sugary drinks, intensive exercising arent your friends before bedtime.
- Go to bed & get up at the same time every day. Consistent sleep schedule leads to an overall sense of happiness and well-being.
- Dim the lights, turn off the tv and put your phone away. This will tell your body that it’s time to relax
- Spend last hour before bedtime calming down your body and mind. Read a book or practice gentle restorative yoga.
- If you struggle with stress and overthinking then journaling will be a great idea!
- Have a hot drink. A cup of herbal/fruit tea or glass of milk. Both cow milk and soy has an ingredient called Tryptophan which is a natural calming agent.
- Try aromatherapy. Lavender scented candle, tea lights or wax melts are a great choice, this pretty purple flower is widely recognised as promoting relaxation & aid sleep problems. Do you know that our Lavender & geranium candle is enriched with essential oil? It's amongst one of the best lavender candles for sleep you can find in our shop. (ps Get 10% off your first order!)
- Make your bedroom ”The calm zone”. Get rid of the clutter & excess of items, open the windows to let fresh air in, make sure you use your bed only for sleeping.
Create a bedtime ritual and be consistent with it. Make this routine a natural part of your day rather than another reason to stress and worry if you did everything correctly. Your bedtime ritual will help you unwind, calm the senses, nourish the body and of course fall asleep easier.
21.45 Sorting out your bedroom, putting clothes away to drawers, removing the clutter, let the fresh air in.
22:00 Make yourself a cup of tea, then turn down the lights, set up the morning alarm on your phone and put it to charge away from your reach.
22:10 Lit Lavender & Geranium candle with essential oil. Unroll your mat or make yourself comfortable in your favourite spot, then spend next 45 minutes relaxing you your mat or reading
22:55 Make your way to the bedroom, get comfortable in bed, don’t let your thought to trigger you. Acknowledge them, and then let the go like clouds on the sky. Tell yourself that you won’t waste your time on things you can’t change. And if you can - you will do it tomorrow or when the time is right.
23:00 Goodnight 💜