Our Guide To Himalayan Salts
When we think about relaxing at the end of a long day, nothing quite evokes a feeling of calm in the same way as a hot bath. Steam rises from the bubbles, sinking in up to the neck and resting back while your muscles melt into the water. With our ethos being all about relaxation, calm and finding moments of peace in your day, we are big advocates of the humble evening bath. And, to accompany this and create a more enjoyable experience overall, nothing quite works like Himalayan Salts. In this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about these salt crystals and why we think they NEED to be a part of your nightly rituals.
What Are Himalayan Salts?
Mined in Pakistan by the foot of the Himalayan mountains, these rock crystals of salt have a soft pink colour. They form over thousands of years, as a result of an inland sea that slowly evaporated and left behind this large expanse of mineral salt deposits. Discovered back in 320 BC by Alexander the Great, Himalayan Salts have been hailed for their many benefits ever since this point. They are a key ingredient in a number of cosmetic products including bath salts, scrubs and salt lamps.
What Is it Made From?
One of the main reasons why Himalayan Salts are so favourite is the fact that it is entirely unique to other products of a similar nature. Research has shown that it contains up to 84 different trace minerals including:
- Magnesium - helps to regulate cell turnover to combat damage, reducing scarring and dullness.
- Sodium - Helps to absorb toxins and dirt from your pores and supports the protective surface barrier to maintain good moisture.
- Iron - Works to reduce free-radical damage from UV exposure and pollution to minimise accelerated ageing.
- Potassium - Helps to enhance moisture and the feel of the skin’s surface.
- Iodine - Helps your body to appropriately manage moisture and reduces dry skin.
- Calcium - Helps your skin to produce sebum - a waxy substance that coats the surface of the skin to maintain proper moisture.
- Zinc - works with iron to reduce free radical damage and supports the natural production of collagen.
- Bicarbonate - Has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties to relieve itching.
- Copper - Helps to reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles and boosts elasticity.
What Are the Benefits?
Himalayan Salt is hand-extracted and requires minimal processing to achieve an additive-free product. For this reason and many others, it is favoured over traditional salt and used for a host of culinary and cosmetic purposes. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits hailed over the years:
- Natural exfoliant - These large crystals help to physically scrub dead skin cells from the surface, leaving your skin feeling super soft and smooth.
- Relaxes - For many, memories of being by the sea can be powerfully relaxing. Running a salt-water bath helps to recreate those feelings while the abundance of minerals found in Himalayan salts helps to alleviate muscle tension and stress.
- Improved sleep - As a result of feeling more relaxed, salt baths will work to promote better sleep. As our body temperature cools down, we minimise our natural circadian rhythm and this tells us that it is time for sleep.
- Helps with common skin conditions - As a natural, holistic solution, Himalayan salts are an ideal treatment of conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and extremely dry skin. They also contain high levels of magnesium, calcium and potassium which work to repair dry, broken skin.
How Can Bath Salts Improve Your Mental Health?
It may seem far-fetched but there is a direct link between bath salts and mental health. Carving time out in the midst of a busy and stressful day allows us space to breathe and re-centre ourselves. Mental health is a topic of much discussion in recent years and we have become a nation determined to turn our backs on the ‘hustle’ culture. We no longer have the energy or ability to work ourselves to the bone in pursuit of our goals. And for this reason, we’re trying to find space in our days to bring the stress levels down and return to a balanced playing field.
Incorporating a bath into your nighttime ritual is one such way of doing this. Hot water and the pressure placed on your chest when submerged can help to improve oxygen intake and clear out your sinuses. The heat also has the ability to reduce inflammation in muscles, helping to alleviate pain and discomfort. Evidence shows us that cooler baths can help to regulate the production of hormones from the pituitary gland, including the stress hormone - cortisol.
When you throw a bath salt into the mix, you take the goodness of the many minerals found within its composition. Magnesium, for example, is known for its hydrating benefits and ability to reduce scarring. It enhances the skin’s barrier function, improves hydration and reduces inflammation. All of these things paired together will lead to healthy, glowing and hydrated skin - an instant boost for our confidence and mental health.
How to Use Bath Salts in Your Routine
There are several ways Himalayan salts can slip into your nightly ritual to help you get the best benefits.
Our feet are two of the most used parts of our body. Due to the continual impact and pressure placed on them, it’s common for calluses to form on the soles and balls. These act as protection to minimise damage to softer skin layers but can also become unsightly and uncomfortable over time. Himalayan salts both buff away dead skin cells and help to promote good hydration. Soak your feet in warm water and these mineral salts - the act can also help to alleviate pain after a day on your feet.
Natural salts are an effective way of clearing away dead skin cells that haven’t fallen off naturally. This helps our skin to continue regenerating and is the main way we can achieve youthful and glowing skin. Mixing Himalayan salts with carrier oils such as coconut oil or jojoba oil creates an effective scrub that can be used on wet skin. Rub in circular motions and rinse off for the best results.
And, finally, Himalayan salts are the perfect bath accompaniment. Adding a generous handful of salts to warm, running water will give you the best benefits. Our collection is blended with essential oils such as lavender to help with relaxation, eucalyptus to energise the body or coconut oil for a moment of calm.
At YR Studio, we’re here to help you create a calm and relaxing haven in your home - every single day. Our Eco-friendly bath salts come in recycled packaging to provide you with intrinsic health benefits to boost your mood instantly.